Table of Contents
Change airdrop name on iphone ipad mac
As we increasingly share photos, documents, and more with friends and family using AirDrop, it’s important to have control over how our devices appear to others. While AirDrop provides convenience and ease of sharing wirelessly between Apple devices, the default names assigned by your devices may not be something you want broadcasting every time you enable sharing.
Whether for privacy, personalization, or simply easier identification, changing your AirDrop name allows you to showcase yourself how you want. This article will walk through how to change your AirDrop name on iPhone, iPad, and Mac so you have full control over your identity when sharing via AirDrop.
What you’ll need
To change your AirDrop name, you will need an Apple device running the latest version of its operating system: iOS 15 or later for iPhone and iPad, and macOS Monterey or later for Mac. There are no additional downloads or applications required, as the ability to customize your AirDrop name is built directly into each device’s settings. You’ll also need to be signed into your Apple ID on all devices where you want the new name to display consistently. Let’s dive into how it’s done on each platform.
How to change your AirDrop name on an iPhone or iPad
- Changing your AirDrop name on an iPhone or iPad is a quick and simple process.
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Tap “General” and then tap “AirDrop.”
- Next to “Discoverable,” tap the three dots icon to expand the menu options.
- Tap “Name” and then enter the name you want to use for AirDrop sharing. This can be your first name, nickname, initials – anything you choose.
- Tap “Done” to save your new AirDrop name.
From now on, this is the name that will display to other nearby Apple devices when you have AirDrop open and set to receive. You can change it again at any time by repeating these steps. Keep it brief (under 17 characters) for best visibility on other devices.
How to change your AirDrop name on a Mac
- Slightly different steps are required to customize your AirDrop name on a Mac computer:
- Open the System Preferences by clicking the Apple icon in the top left of your menu bar and selecting “System Preferences…”
- Select “Sharing” from the menu bar categories on the left.
- Look for AirDrop in the services list on the right and click the arrow to expand options.
- Click “Options…” next to your Mac’s name under AirDrop.
- Enter your preferred AirDrop name in the “Your Name” field.
- Click “Done” to save the change.
Your Mac will now use this name rather than the one generated from your account details when discoverable via AirDrop to other nearby Apple devices. And as with the iPhone and iPad, you can alter it again whenever you like by repeating these Mac steps.
What to do if your device isn’t displaying the new AirDrop name
Occasionally, after changing your AirDrop name it may fail to update or sync across your other Apple devices right away. If this happens, there are a few things you can try:
Sign out of iCloud on all devices and then sign back in – this refreshes the connection between devices
Restart the devices where the name isn’t displaying correctly
Wait at least 30 minutes for changes to fully propagate between devices over the air
Make sure all devices are updated to the latest version of iOS/iPadOS/macOS for full AirDrop compatibility
As a last resort, reset the AirDrop name to default on the problematic device and change it again – this should force an update
If the name still fails to sync after trying these troubleshooting steps, a glitch may be preventing the change from taking effect across your network or Apple ID. In most cases, waiting or restarting resolves it. Consult Apple Support if you continue facing issues with the AirDrop name display after making changes.
Ready to start sharing?
With control over your AirDrop name comes the fun of sharing content seamlessly between devices. From sending photos to a friend to collaborating on documents with family, AirDrop makes it fast and simple. But take care when enabling sharing, as your custom name will advertise your availability to anyone nearby with an Apple device.
Experiment with different display names to see what works best for your situation before sharing sensitive information. And don’t leave AirDrop open unattended in public if you prefer a private sharing experience. With some quick name changes in your device settings, you’ll be all set to utilize the full convenience of AirDrop while still maintaining your desired online identity. Happy sharing!